Thursday, 27 August 2015

Review: Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

So lets be truthful, the cover is beautiful! That's what caught my attention first. So I requested an ARC on Edelweiss and I was excited to get it and to read this Cindrella retelling. Cuz looking at the cover just makes you think what it could be about? The gears and the chains and what twist could it have and be and not be similar to Cindrella. So I went in without any expectations and I'm happy with that cuz I liked the book. I've read some comments on goodreads about this book being similar to Cinder. But I think it is not cuz I know what Cinder is about even though I've not read it. This book is about a mechanic girl and she is very much human. And if you want to know more about the book check out the synopsis below.

13455099


Title: Mechanica


Author: Betsy Cornwell


Genre: Steampunk Retelling


 

Publication Date: 25th August 2015 

 


GR 

 

Synopsis




Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home.

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could the mysterious books and tools hidden there—and the mechanical menagerie, led by a tiny metal horse named Jules—be the key to escaping her dreary existence? With a technological exposition and royal ball on the horizon, the timing might just be perfect for Nicolette to earn her freedom at last.

Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.


~~oOo~~

My Review


MechanicaMechanica by Betsy Cornwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked it! Especially the ending part. The ending added the extra star, cuz if it would have been opposite ah it would be... lets not get there cuz it didn't happened.
I liked Mechanica/Nick/Nicolette, I became her fan by the end. But I adored Cora especially her advice in the end for Nick, absolutely true! Then the not happily ever after was cool! It was happy in its own terms not the cliché one.
Then Jules my fav character! An other small creatures all around.
The dash of magic in the story and how Nicolette was independent and she didn't need Fairy Godmother cuz she made everything possible for herself on her own. I liked that concept.
If this book have sequel to it then I'm looking forward for the book!I liked it and liked the new concept of story.


View all my reviews

~~o0O~~

I liked it and as I said earlier I didn't went in it with any expectations it is good but on average side for me. I liked it to wanting to continue with book. So yes I'd be reading the next book in the series.

Book Buying Links




About the Author



Hi! I'm Betsy Cornwell, an American writer living in a stove-heated cottage in west Ireland together with my horse trainer spouse, a small herd of dairy goats, and an increasing number of other animals. I writefiction and nonfiction and blog about Irish folklore, travel, wild food, goats (of course!), homesteading, and growing up










Author Links